Today the Tampa Bay Rays played the Houston Astros in Port Charlotte. After being one of the worst teams in the National League for years, the Astros hope a move to the American League will turn things around. Good thing the game was not being played in Tampa because Tampa spent the morning in a Tornado Warning. Today was the Spring Training debut of third baseman Evan Longoria and pitcher David Price.
- Ben Zobrist (SS)
- Ryan Roberts (2B)
- Evan Longoria (3B)
- Leslie Anderson (LF)
- Shelley Duncan (1B)
- Wil Myers (RF)
- Jack Cust (DH)
- Sam Fuld (CF)
- Jose Lobaton (C)
- David Price (P)
- Marwin Gonzales (SS)
- Brandon Barnes (LF)
- Justin Maxwell (CF)
- Chris Carter (1B)
- Nate Freiman (DH)
- Matt Dominguez (3B)
- Jimmy Paredes (RF)
- Jason Jaramillo (C)
- Jake Elmore (2B)
- Jordan Lyles (P)
David Price had a 19-pitch inning, 10 of which were strikes. When Price reached for a ground ball with his bare hand, the ball hit his wrist but luckily he was fine. At the bottom of the 1st, Shelley Duncan hit a single, bringing Ryan Roberts home while Evan Longoria was called out at home. Longoria, who singled at his first at-bat of spring training, was not running at full speed and was trying to score from second base. After missing at least half of the 2012 season due to his hamstring, Rays fans are hoping the hamstring will not be a problem this year.
At the bottom of the 2nd, the Rays scored five runs, making the game 6-0. One of baseball’s top prospects, Wil Myers, singled to start the inning. Though a few singles and a sac-fly scored a few runs, it was the triple by Leslie Anderson that scored two runs. At the moment, Anderson is the top RBI leader in the Grapefruit League (with 7, ahead of Miguel Cabrera’s 4) and is currently batting a .556. Anderson has had a hit in every Spring Training game he has played in so far.
In the 4th, Ryan Roberts hit a homerun to make the game 7-0. The Astros manage to put 2 runs up on the scoreboard in the 6th inning, but the game is called right after the inning ends due to the heavy rain. The other Rays pitchers invovled in the game were: Fernando Rodney, Brandon Gomes, Josh Lueke, Matt Buschmann, and Alex Colome.
- Jeff Niemann will now be starting Wednesday against the Pittsburgh Pirates instead of Jeremy Hellickson. Hellickson will still be pitching.
- Alex Rodriquez’s Yankees 2009 World Series Ring is being cold by his cousin. Must be to pay off a certain doctor…
- Manny Ramirez will play for a team in Taiwan if no Major League Baseball team offers him a job this year.
- Johnny Damon doesn’t understand why the Rays re-signed Luke Scott instead of him.
- Spring Training Game 1: Rays v. Red Sox (mlblogstbchick2011.wordpress.com)
- Spring Training Game 2: Rays v. Twins (mlblogstbchick2011.wordpress.com)
- Rays beat the Red Sox, Again (mlblogstbchick2011.wordpress.com)